Procedures & Fines

The City of Elsberry court docket is the schedule of the court. Defendants will be expected to adhere to the procedures and protocol of the court at all times, including proper attire.

No food or drink will be allowed in the court room at any time.

Your Rights in Court

The following are your rights in the Elsberry Municipal Court:

You have been cited to come to court on the date shown on your ticket.

You have the right to be fully advised of the nature of the charges against you.

You have the right to plead not guilty or guilty to the charges.

You may plead not guilty by coming to Court and a trial date will be set.

You may plead guilty by mail, or by coming to City Hall to pay your fine, or by cominh to Court.

If you come to court and plead guilty, but you can't pay the day of court, you will be given a new date to pay.

If you want to plead guilty, but you don't have the funds to pay your ticket, you still must come to court. You will not be arrested for not having money to pay.

If you are indigent, you will be required to complete documentation to be used by the court as evidence to determine your financial status and as an aid to the court in assessing fines, costs and setting a payment plan.

If you do not come to court when summoned to do so, you are subject to a warrant being issued for your arrest.

You have the right to be represented at all stages of the proceedings by an attorney. You must pay for that attorney yourself.  However,  if you are found to be indigent and are facing jail time, you have the right to have an attorney appointed to represent you.

You have the right to trial which, at which election, may be jury trial.

You have the right to confront and ask questions of any and all witnesses who appear to testify against you.

You have the right to bring witnesses to testify on my behalf at trial.

You have the right to subpoena witnesses to appear at trial to testify on my behalf.

You have the right to testify or remain silent at your trial. If you remain silent and do not testify that will not be held against you.

You are presumed innocent and the City has to prove that you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt at the trial.

If you are found guilty at trial you have a right to appeal the Court's decision and file a request for a new trial in Lincoln County Associate Circuit Court. You must file your  appeal within 10 days from the day of the Court’s decision.

Children in Court

Children are allowed in court, however persons bringing such children are required to ensure that they do not disrupt court proceedings. Disruptive or noisy children and their care givers will be asked to leave.